Thursday, January 19, 2012

Levels of Diversity

Levels of Diversity

I write this blog from a more personal stance as an employee of the Conwell Inn.  I want to share with you the one thing I love most about working here – the range of diversity I have seen walk through our doors in the past three years.
With Temple University being ranked as the “most diverse” college campus in the nation, it is not surprising that the Conwell Inn draws in that same wealth of backgrounds.  I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned about different parts of the world from all of the wonderful people I have met.  It is amazing how much you can learn, just from talking to people – people who often times are crossing language barriers just to have that conversation.  It is even more amazing to discover what brings all of these international guests to our doorstep.  Believe it or not, not all of our international guests come from America’s most diverse university.  Many of these guests are here as tourists, just looking for “brotherly love” and of course, a Philly Cheesesteak!  While faced with plenty of options in downtown Philadelphia, our international guests, particularly those traveling from Europe, enjoy the warmth of our boutique inn, the more reasonable nightly rates, and the ease of Philadelphia’s public transportation getting them anywhere they need to go.
In working our Front Desk over the past three years, I have learned more about the world and its stunning mix of cultures than I ever imagined possible.  I’m not sure if the international guests who have stayed at the Conwell Inn realize the impact they have on the worldly perspective of its staff.  I, for one, will never take for granted the quality of humanity and many social advantages earned from working in this lovely city!
-Lindsay Gorski

No comments:

Post a Comment